For your consideration, I submit the following list of content. This list serves as an addition to my blog post entitled: Faith Is Not A Virtue.
Youtube videos sometimes get deleted so please notify me if any of the content in this list becomes inaccessible and I will update it.
List compiled by Matthew Kerswill.
The God Delusion
- It should not be taboo to criticise religion.
- Religion discourages independent thought, it's divisive and it's dangerous.
- Miracles don't happen.
- Science and religion are NOT compatible. In fact, religion attacks and undermines science.
- Religion is arrogant about its supposed truths.
- Evolution and Intelligent Design are not equal theories and should not be presented to children as such.
- Politics is undoubtedly an important factor in world conflicts but we seem to forget the elephant in the room: religion.
- Russell's Teapot.
- We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
- Religion is a mind-virus that is passed from generation to generation.
- A look at so-called 'Hell houses' (used to scare children 'straight').
- Religion is immoral.
- Religious moderates are 'fence-sitters'.
- Why bother with the bible at all if we're already just picking and choosing what is right and what is wrong?
- Atheism is NOT a recipe for despair.
- This film by Bill Mayer is mostly a comedy that draws attention to the absurdities of various religions.
- One segment of the film talks about how Christianity is a plagiarism of earlier religions and that the story of Jesus bares a striking resemblance to earlier prophets from other religions. The point being that the gospel story is, at the very least, massively embellished with mythology.
- Faith is nothing to brag about. A better attitude is doubt because doubt is humble.
- Religious moderates are enablers for the extremists and fundamentalists.
Christopher Hitchens vs Tony Blair Debate
- Is Religion A Force For Good In The World?
The God Debate II: Harris vs. Craig
- Does goodness come from God?
Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris on is there an afterlife full debate
- Topic: "Is there an afterlife?"
- Participants: Christopher Hitchens, Rabbi David Wolpe, Sam Harris, and Rabbi Bradley Shavit Artson.
Sam Harris- Game, Set, Match.
- Sam Harris tackles unsubstantiated meta-physical claims about souls and the after-life using real and testable neuroscience.
Sam Harris vs Chris Hedges - Religion - The End of the World
Hitchens Dawkins Grayling 2007: BETTER OFF WITHOUT RELIGION
- 27th March 2007, debate: "We would be better off without religion"
- PROPOSING THE MOTION: Christopher Hitchens, Professor Richard Dawkins & A.C. Grayling.
- OPPOSING THE MOTION: Dr Nigel Spivey, Roger Scruton & Rabbi Julia Neuberger.
Christopher Hitchens on Freedom of Speech
- Topic of the debate: "Freedom of speech includes the freedom to hate"
- In the first 20 minutes, 4 students (2 for the motion & 2 against) have their say.
- In the second 20 minutes, Christopher Hitchens gives an excellent speech endorsing the motion.
Lennox Vs. Dawkins Debate - Has Science Buried God?
Christopher Hitchens Debates Al Sharpton - New York Public
Discussions / Conversations:
Dear Believer: Why Do You Believe? (ORIGINAL)
Christopher Hitchens Destroys Biblical miracle claims
- Biblical miracles are not proof of Jesus' divinity.
- Excerpt from a debate between Christopher Hitchens and Frank Turek.
Hitchens delivers one of his best hammer blows to cocky audience member
- Description of how evil religion is.
- Excerpt from a debate between Christopher Hitchens and Frank Turek.
The True Core Of The Jesus Myth | Christopher Hitchens @ FreedomFest
Christopher Hitchens "Hitch Slaps" Audience Member.
- An audience member suggests something along the lines of "atheism leads to dictators like Stalin". Hitchens destroys this nonsense argument.
Christopher Hitchens - The Best of the Hitchslap - Part Two
- A compilation of some of the best excerpts from debates, talks and interviews with Christopher Hitchens.
Sam Harris on Islam the Religion of Peace
- It's important to notice that not all religions are created equal and some of them are quite significantly worse than others (for example, Islam).
Sam Harris makes a joke and a point
- Sam Harris uses a humorous analogy to show how fairly common and well-established ideas in meta-physics are really quite ridiculous.
Sam Harris shows prayer studies for the joke they are
- Prayers not getting answered? Perhaps you're praying to the wrong god. Can I interest you in trying out Poseidon, the Greek god of the seas?
Sam Harris: On Interpreting Scripture
- Do atheists take a literalist approach to scripture? Is it possible that God was speaking to us in metaphors? Sam Harris comments.
Penn Jillette: Reading the Bible (Or the Koran, Or the Torah) Will Make You an Atheist
Richard Dawkins Visits Anti-Masturbation Conference
- Religious preachings have no effect on people's sexual behaviour. They only induce guilt.
God Strikes Back (3/5) - Richard Dawkins
- Brief description of why the human eye is NOT a perfectly 'created' organ.
- Tackles taboo of offending religious sensibilities in science classes.
Richard Dawkins Versus Homophobic Christians
- Deals with the oft-held but incorrect opinion that all opinions are equally valid.
Lady believes in Virgin Birth. Dawkins gets MAD!
- Excerpt from a debate on: "Is Britain a Christian country?".
- Ouch! That stings.
- Insults aside, the point is that faith without evidence should not be considered a virtue.
Richard Dawkins destroys muslim on morality
- Also applies to Christian morality.
Richard Dawkins Destroys The 10 Commandments
4th Foundational Falsehood of Creationism
- Belief does NOT equal knowledge.
Disproving Christianity: Jesus is a LIE
- Jesus may never have existed (or at the very least, the description of him in the Bible may be mostly made-up or massively embellished with other mythology).
- Atheists are not interested in an insurance policy against the Christian hell just like Christians are not interested in an insurance policy against the Muslim hell.
Why Would Any Woman Be A Christian?
- Women... know your place.
Eating Grass For Jesus!
- This happened in South Africa.
- Just an example of some of the stupid shit that you can get people to do when they have been indoctrinated into a religious mindset.
Faith Is Not A Virtue, Faith Is Gullibility! -- The Atheist Experience
- Extremely important to watch this.
- Matt Dillahunty explains the horrible, socially divisive impact of Christianity.
Believing a Lie - The Atheist Experience #642
- Covers Christians' tendency to distance themselves from the Old Testament.
- Bible advocates slavery.
- The Bible is interpreted in so many different ways and God couldn't be bothered to give us clarity.
- Is it better to believe a lie if it makes you feel better? The host argues that truth is always better.
The Bible is Not the Word of God - The Atheist Experience #483
- Discussion that touches on a small amount of the fascinating and illuminating information that we know regarding the origins of the Bible.
- The Bible is the work of men and viewing it as "the perfect word of God" is kind of like worshipping a false idol.
- If you want to hear more about this, here's the full show: Atheist Experience #483: Old Testament Gods.
Is Christianity Moral?
- Cartoon that illustrates how immoral Christianity is. (Just one of the many ways you can show this.)
Atheist Comedy - The Great Flood
- Cartoon that looks at the silly story of Noah's Ark.
What If You're Wrong?
- Cartoon that asks what if Islam is the right religion.
How I Gave Up Religion
- One man's story, accompanied by cartoon illustrations.
My Spirituality as an Atheist